VMware announced a FREE online training course called “VMware vSphere: What’s New [5.1]” with the 5.1 release.
This course is a self-paced course which lasts 1 hour and it’s available through myLearn training.
This e-learning course explores new features in VMware vCenter Server 5.1 and VMware ESXi 5.1. By the end of the course, you should gain an understanding and should be able to implement the following new functions and features of VMware vSphere 5.1.
- Compute and Storage
- Support for hardware version 9, the latest CPU performance counters and virtual shared graphics acceleration designed for enhanced performance.
- For better space efficiency vSphere supports storage space reclamation for VDI.
- Support for VXLAN
- Enhanced vSphere Distributed Switch
- VMware vSphere vMotion without the need for shared storage configurations.
- VMware vSphere Data Protection for simple and cost effective backup and recovery,
- vSphere Replication enables efficient array-agnostic replication of virtual machine data over the LAN or WAN.
- Security: Inclusion VMware vShield Endpoint to eliminate the agent footprint from the virtual machines, offload intelligence to a security virtual appliance, and run scans with minimal impact.
- Automation: Two new methods for deploying new vSphere hosts to an environment make the Auto Deploy process more highly available than ever before.
- VMware vCenter Enhancements
- vSphere Web Client
- vCenter Single Sign-On
- VSA enhancements
- Support for Additional Disk Drives
- Increase Storage Capacity Online
- vCenter running on the VSA Cluster