VMware announced vSphere 5.1 at VMworld 2012 US. VMware also released a short video about “what’s new”.
- Enhanced VMotion: Leverage the advantages of vMotion (zero-downtime migration) without the need for shared storage configurations. Perfect solution for SMB.
- Zero downtime VMware Tools Upgrade: VMware clains that after you upgrade to the VMware Tools available with version 5.1, no reboots will be required for subsequent VMware Tools upgrades.
- vSphere Web client:Say goodbye to the old C# client and hello to an improved web client for management.
- vSphere Data Protection:A new backup solution based on EMC Avamar, read more in my previous post.
- vCenter Single Sign-On: Ssimplify vSphere administration by allowing users to log in once to access all instances or layers of vCenter without the need for further authentication.
- vSphere Replication:vSphere Replication enables efficient array-agnostic replication of virtual machine data over the LAN or WAN. Again a great solution for SMB.
A quick overview on what’s new can also be found in the What’s New paper.
More technical papers
- What’s new in VMware vCenter 5.1
- What’s New in VMware vSphere 5.1 – Networking
- What’s New in VMware vSphere 5.1 – Platform
- What’s New in VMware vSphere 5.1 – Storage
- What’s New in VMware vSphere 5.1 – Performance
- Introduction to VMware vSphere Replication
- Introduction to VMware vSphere Data Protection
- What’s new in VMware vSphere Storage Appliance
- What’s new in vCloud Director 5.1